11.13.2007

Thoughts

This post has nothing to do with photography really...just some random thoughts. I was watching 60 Minutes the other day and they were talking about "Millennials" (people who were born in the 80's). I was born in 1982 so I would qualify as a Millennial. Except that I don't want to be known as one. On 60 Minutes they were talking about how Millennials are a bunch of whiney, lazy, want everything handed to them on a silver plater, still mooching off of Mom & Dad, absolutely NO work ethic, losers! They expect to be able to go to work at like 3:00pm and still be off in time for happy hour. Their only concern is whether or not they'll be able to hang out with their friends and oh yeah we can't forget about their ipods, iphones, ithis, ithat, etc... They say that the reason Millennials are like this is because they grew up in a world where their parents (mothers especially) were too doting, they had competitions where everyone (even the losers) got a trophy or ribbon, and they were told from birth how very special they were even though they had not achieved anything extraordinary. Now I don't think that's totally wrong or bad but there's a happy medium here. I believe in working for the finer things in life. Of course it would be nice to win the lottery and never have to work again but I don't see how anyone can live in a world where they never feel that satisfaction from finally being about to buy that house, car, or whatever b/c they worked HARD for it.

Watch the 60 Minutes spot here : http://60minutes.yahoo.com/segment/113/millennials

Anyway, while watching this I realized that I don't really know anyone like this nor am I or my husband like this. Jeremy and I have both been working since childhood. My Dad would take me to his business on Saturdays and I would sweep, organize, and I'll admit play a little. Jeremy's first paying job was on his Uncle's ranch when he was a boy. I got my first "real job" on my sixteenth birthday at OldNavy. I remember (very vividly) spending my first year out of highschool taking a full course load at AC, working fulltime as a legal assistant, and not to mention planning my wedding. Since then the only time I did not have a job was for the 1st year after having Ella. And Jeremy has the best work ethic of anyone I have ever met. He works 6 days a week usually 10 hours a day and you never hear him complain. My sisters are the same way. I remember Leah working at a friend's pizza parlor in highschool and Sarah is rapidly working her way up at the bank she works at dispite not having a college degree. Their husbands are REALLY hard workers, too. I'm glad that I had parents that raised me to work hard and to appreciate every single thing that I have. It's sad that the world is so jaded now. I pray that I'll raise Ella to appreciate the things she has and to work hard at whatever she is doing. Well, I'll wrap this up and leave you with a couple of verses on the subject. I want to hear your thoughts, too!

Colossians 3:23 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."

II Thessalonians 3:10 "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

Now you know I can't very well leave you without an image of some kind. This is my GORGEOUS sister, Leah. This picture was taken with my camera but not by me...my 2 1/2 year old nephew Wills took this fabulous picture of his mommy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lez! I watched that segment on 60 minutes too, and the whole time I was so embarrassed to be included in that Millenial generation. I don't know anyone personally born during that time that acts like that. Oh, and thanks for making me look pretty in that picture. I wish I really looked like that in real life! :)

Lezlie Andrew said...

You are this pretty in "real life'...I just made you look angelic. ; )

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to say that I can't relate to the story on 60 minutes due to the fact that I'm too old to be a Millenial. Go genX!!!

Anyway, nice thoughts. It rings true to many age groups...

Anonymous said...

You have a sister named Leah! That's so cool. I don't know many Leah's!