1.22.2009

Namaste

I have so many images that I want to show you but am completely overwhelmed! I have shot something like 2500 images so far. And I feel like I haven't told you all much of what we are doing or how I feel about some of the things I have seen while in India. Some of the other team members are much better writers than I am and have expanded on each day over on the Hillside Missions blog (link located on the right). I'll let you know a bit from my perspective though.

I do feel like I was pretty prepared (as prepared as one person can be) to come on this trip and see the things I have seen. People that have gone before me had said that I would never see poverty until I have seen the poverty in India. Now, mind you, this is not my first mission trip. However, all of the other mission trips I have been on have been in Mexico...and none lasting more than 5 days. I do agree with that statement about poverty though. I have never seen poverty like this. Our days are very surreal to me...like something straight out of a movie or off the National Geographic channel. A few of the people on the team have been not once but two or three times and have been great about letting us know the things we need to know. In the face of such poverty, persecution, and hardships I have been surprised to see joy in the faces of India. :)

One of the great things we have had the opportunity of doing is touring the Mid-India Christian Mission facilities. Oh my gosh! I am humbled and...well extremely humbled! The first place we went to is the school. I am amazed and a frankly a little embarrassed to see the level at which these children are learning. Pre-schoolers sit for around 4 hours at a desk like the "big kids" and learn in a class room setting. Five year olds are multiplying! A lot of the students are seniors when they are 16 years old. The discipline and respectfulness of these children would put shame to the children in America.

The hospital's facilities are primitive at best. It is amazing to hear that they are able to do 100+ eye surgeries per month with the equipment they have (or don't have is more like it). We also visited the Woman's Rehabilitation Center where woman who have overcome abuse etc come for some Jesus love. ;) They make beautiful sweaters and other things to sell. They work with old Singer sewing machines from what Ashley & I thought were maybe the early 1900's. Again, I have been humbled by the experience thus far.

I have to cut this a bit short b/c I just found out I'm speaking tomorrow morning (it's almost 8pm here) and need to prepare.

I am enjoying staying here at MICM...lizards and all. Haha! (One in Ashley & I's toilet and one in my pants yesterday.)

I'll post more pictures and blog more of my experience tomorrow!










4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you. This journey will leave you altered in a incredible way. I miss you, Lily.

Sam and Mandy said...

I can't get enough of your pictures!

Anonymous said...

Lezlie, your pictures are so beautiful. Thanks for keeping up updated.

Love you!
-Cols

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are being forever changed. How are Jeremy & Ella doing?